Saturday, March 27, 2010

Passover Macaroons: A Coconut Tip

I know some of you will be preparing for Passover this weekend – if you are making the coconut macaroons from the last chapter of Lunch in Paris, here’s a tip from my Aunt Joyce. The recipe in the book uses very dry grated coconut (that’s what was available in France), which is very different from the already hydrated, pre-sweetened coconut you buy in the baking aisle in the US. Therefore, my Aunt Joyce uses MUCH less condensed milk in her recipe to hold the mix together.

If you are using very dry coconut: use 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk

If you are using something like Baker's flaked sweetened coconut, which is already hydrated: reduce the sweetened condensed milk to 2/3 cup

My favorite part of Passover in Teaneck was checking for the first crocuses on the lawn. That, and eating the crispy matzoh stuffing right out of the bird. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I love macaroons. I'm not Jewish so I 've always wondered if there is a significant reason why macaroons are passover food - is it just that they are kosher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this recipe in your book and was amazed how easy it is! :D
    oh... thanks for stopping by my blog.. you made my day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I featured your yummy book last week at my blog The Boomer Muse (What I'm Reading This Week) and had to come back for seconds today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - gosh this is my first ever blog comment! I just finished reading Lunch in Paris and I absolutely loved it. Ms Bard - you are a wonder! ps: the coconut macaroon recipe. I nearly fell off my bed when I read the recipe - this is the EXACT same recipe I have been using for years, courtesy of my scottish-born, NZ-bred nanna (I am of Spanish-Vietnamese-Filipino-Laosian-and-French descent)... the only thing I have to add is that the last time I made this macaroon (for my 7yo's school fete), I dipped half of each macaroon into melted milk chocolate & allowed to dry. It was divine and sold out within the hour!.... much love, amelia jane (Bribane, Australia)

    ReplyDelete