Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pros and Cons

Things I love about the United States: Fried chicken. The paths of Central Park. Entenmanns chocolate donuts (There's Augustin with his first one!).
Things I hate: Secondary passport control. Being talked down to: two days ago I saw an ad for the TV show "The Tudors" with the tag line "Jonathan Rhys Meyers is King Henry 8". Pardon my French, but WTF!! Do they think Americans are so stupid that we can't read roman numerals?! It makes the protestant reformation sound like the sequel to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3. This is the worse kind of cultural stereotype - and a self-fulfilling prophecy as well. One more generation raised with this and "VIII" will be an emoticon.

The reading at Barnes & Noble was like old home week. Wonderful to see old friends - and a chance to chat with readers over almond cakes and coconut macaroons. I'm definitely baking for my future events - it gives me a good excuse to meet everyone.

Next event is a short reading as part of Rachel Kramer Bussel's Nerd Sex Night at 8pm on April 15th. What to wear...

5 comments:

  1. Next generations won't know what a "old-fashioned" telephone looks like or why we use a floppy disc as a save icon. Imagine that many Americans "learn" their history this way it is sad. I guess it is better than Dancing With The Stars (I don't know I haven't seen either), but still sad commentary. I missed fried chicken so much, every trip back to San Francisco from France that was practically the first thing I ate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "(There's Augustin with his first one!)."

    Adorable, that is! :)

    "It makes the protestant reformation sound like the sequel to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3." Hahahaha! Good way to put it.

    Although, I gotta say, I have watched a couple of episodes of The Tudors, and it kind of makes the Protestant Reformation look like something that belongs on the Playboy Channel or late night on Cinemax, too, lol. I'm thinking not so historically accurate. Or, maybe somewhat accurate, but very "Sex and the Citified" in its approach. With nudity. It's somethin', that's for sure, lol.

    So glad the B&N event went well and Nerd Sex Night sounds so cool I can hardly STAND it!! Photos and full report, please!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy the B&N reading went well, and that cutie of yours certainly enjoyed his first donut from the looks of things...

    I have to say that many kids I've seen can't read Roman numerals and yes, they glean history from the television. There is a website for the Tudors series that tells the viewer about the series and its inaccuracies and also provides correct information. I checked it out after the first episode. I wonder how many really care about that...

    Nerd Sex Night sounds like fun. Can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous that a) you're home in NYC where it's about 20 degrees warmer and sunnier than Paris and b) that you're reading with Rachel tomorrow. Amuse-toi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. King Henry 8...the silliest part of that is that anyone think he actually looked like that..if you want Tudors..watch the original BBC series from the 70's with Keith Michel...that's KHVIII..for real.

    ReplyDelete