Monday, June 7, 2010

If you stand that close to Carrie...

You're bound to get your picture taken! Laurel and I decided to make a Sex in the City foursome with Jamie Cat Callan, author of French Women Don't Sleep Alone. Thanks to all who came to grab a cocktail and fill up on multicutural chatter at the Sex and the City Cafe on Friday. There were even ice-cubes. Very NYC.

I was up late reading Laurel's book, Sorbonne Confidential - alternating between fascination and horror at her experiences of the most prestegious French teaching exam - which has nothing to do with teaching - and everything to do with the mental formatting of the French elite. I'm glad Augustin will be sticking to the building blocks for a while. I'm not sure I'm ready to handle my son being told that Joseph Conrad (who was born in Poland) could have been a great French writer, but for reasons passing understanding, he chose to write in English instead...

Lunch in Paris was part of a really interesting article on travel memoirs in the New York Times - a new breed of travel writers who focus on staying, rather than just get-up-and-going.
I've been trying to tone down the sugar this month - in preparation for bikini season. So of course, for the last 24 hours, all I can think about is cake! I'm debating between my classic yogurt cake and an olive oil cake recipe given to me by my friend Jen. That's her homemade rhubarb compote as well. Maybe I'll put olive oil in the yogurt cake...

7 comments:

  1. I just moved to WA state and realized that the big-ass plant in my yard was rhubarb- so thanks for this photo, I shall make some in once I get my writing done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who really ever enjoyed Heart of Darkness anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry I missed it! It was in my diary but then, well, I had a date. How very SATC of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "There were even ice-cubes." Oh lala!!

    The SATC event looks like it was fun. I really hope to read Laurel's book soon. It sounds educational (heh heh).

    Re: olive oil in the yogurt cake... I keep seeing recipes for savory cakes. There you go -- omit the sugar from the yogurt cake and throw some sun dried tomatoes, herbs, and maybe cooked ground sausage or something like that in the batter with the olive oil and you'll have a savory cake! I had never heard of such a thing before coming to France. I've never eaten one, either, but they do have a kind of appeal. If I were experimental enough to make a gluten-free version, I might try it. (In fact, did you have a recipe for a savory cake in your book? I'm not going to check now, but it seems that you might have...)

    I've skimmed the NYT article and want to go finish it now. I'm giggling at the word "staycation" and realizing this is just what I have done, too. Heh.

    Be well and thank you for catching us up on your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A yogurt and rhubarb combo sounds like a beautiful idea for summer cake.

    So happy to have met you at the fab SATC event last week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your yogurt cake! :D I've been baking it pretty much every week and my family and I end up devouring it in two days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth, Just found your blog after reading your fab book. Rhubarb seems to be a very parisian flavour - when I was in Paris last year I went to Berthillons ice-creamery for a rhubarb ice-cream - yummo !! it's got that hint of tart that marries well with the sweet - I think Rhubarb in a cake would be utterly divine !! let's know how it turns out
    Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete