Thursday, May 20, 2010

The King of Costco

Why do I disappear whenever I get back to the US? I guess because I'm trying to do a year's worth of work in 2 weeks - meetings stacked up one on top of the other like poker chips. Normally, I hate being away from my own kitchen, but I've been a guest in some truly lovely cooking spaces these past 10 days: molten chocolate cakes for 35 at the Alliance Francaise in Boston (dig their hulking cast iron stove and glass front cabinets) and last night I made gougeres (cheese puffs) for 50 at Grange NYC, in their sleek enameled Aga - a bit rock n roll at the beginning (that top hotplate is HOT) but I got the hang of it in the end. Thanks to Carol Gillott of Paris Breakfasts for her photos. I wish I was going to be in London in June for her exhibition at the Chelsea Arts Club.Augustin seems to be enjoying his NY sojourn. He got his first pair of snazzy sneakers and - a milestone - took his first trip to Costco. When he is a French teenager, wearing a long scarf and smoking Gauloise (I hope not!) I think I'll pull this one out of the album to show his first girlfriend!
It's my birthday today. G. sent me roses, or rather a photo of the roses in our new garden in Provence. Our garden. Hint, hint - huge news ahead.

Gougeres - Cheese Puffs
The perfect partner for a wine tasting. Add whatever flavors you like. Don't be afraid of recipes that puff, the trick is a hot pan and a quick hand.
1 cup water
1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon table salt
1 cup flour
4 large large eggs
1 cup grated cheese (chedder, swiss, comte, asagio, etc)
3/4 cup chopped parma ham, diced
small handful of chives, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine water, butter and salt. Bring to boil (it is important that the mix boil - if it doesn't, your batter won't take). Turn off the heat and working quickly, stir in the flour all at once. Immediately add two eggs and stir to combine. Immediately add the remaining 2 eggs and stir - the batter should look like a lump of marzipan. Add your cheese, ham, and herbs - or any combo of the above.
Using a tablespoon, place dollops of batter on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Leave enough room in between for some puffing in the oven.
Cook at 425F for 15 minutes. Lower the oven to 400F and cook with the oven slightly ajar, 12-15 minutes, until golden and puffed. That said, I've worked with ovens where you don't open the door or lower the temp at all...see what works best for you.
Makes 20-24 puffs

9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Elizabeth! I'm gearing up for the States next month and looking forward to buying a bunch of American supermarket essentials :) Glad you're having a good trip back. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Augustin seems to be enjoying his NY sojourn. He got his first pair of snazzy sneakers and - a milestone - took his first trip to Costco."

    WOOT!! Indeed he does seem to be! What a cutie! He sure is stylin' in that grocery cart, lol.

    Happy Birthday to you! I also just wrote this on FB to you, but mine was yesterday. Glad to know we share a good month for a birthday and almost the same day. That's fun. :)

    I am really, really excited to hear what your news is about the roses/garden. So curious to know what all is up! Sounds like it is going to be some wonderful stuff. :)

    Be well, and again, I hope you have a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Elizabeth! The photo of the little one is adorable (was playing with my best friend's equivalent most of the day, so much fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday to you!! i'm totally afraid of recipes that puff, but I want to try these anyway! maybe i'll get lucky this time...

    be sure to send more pictures of your garden—how exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Elizabeth ... hope you do good with that big stack of poker chips. The cheese puffs recipe is a winner, for sure!

    Here's to a great year ahead and continued success with your cooking and publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another NY jaunt? Lucky you! Whoop it up for your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very Happy Year to you! <[:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Elizabeth! I hope somebody else bakes YOU a cake...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday from New Zealand!

    Love your blog, it's my first visit and I've joined!

    I make Gougeres a lot and they are so easy, yet my friends are so impressed!
    I've always done the one from my old Cordon Bleu book (failsafe) and usually I do a chicken livers filling.

    1st June is officially the start of winter in the Southern Hemisphere, there's already a bite in the air.
    Perfect GOUGERE weather for us!!

    Thank you for sharing. I would love you to visit me sometime too.

    ReplyDelete