Monday, February 8, 2010

An Affair to Remember

Posting from the airport on my way to Melbourne - what a weekend - exhilarating and exhausting - I've never been so excited to have 14 hours with nothing to do!

Saturday afternoon Giulia Melucci and I had a full house at the Brooklyn Kitchen. Cheese puffs fell flat (I always did suck at chemistry) but molten chocolate cakes went down a treat (I'm trying out my British style colloquialisms in prep for Australia).



Then on to drinks at DRAM, a fab new cocktail space for drinks.



We did a bit of decor - the vegetable centerpieces were my mother's idea.

Then as if I wasn't feeling celebrated enough - my mom threw a lovely open house on Sunday - I aspire to her way of entertaining - months of work beforehand, but utter calm and charm on the day - every dish labeled with a little post-it so she knows what goes in.
Now it off to the Writer's at the Convent festival in Melbourne - surreal to be leaving NY snow for the land of summer dresses where the water goes down the drain the other way.

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely Luneville tureen, so French …

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Just read about your blog fromParis breakfast and how wonderful this is. All my life and I'm 62 I've wanted to go to paris my grandfather bought me french lessons on record many moons ago, took some french in school but never master this or school for that matter. I'll come hear to read your lovly stories and yumo recipes and will get your book as soon as I can with my budget.
    Thank-you so,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need some lessons from your mom too. Have fun in your summer dresses. It's snowing in Colorado too at the moment :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful whirlwind for you! Cold and rainy here. I hope you enjoy the Australian summer. I have some wine-related cooking questions I'm researching...

    Hope the baby is well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful blog -- and your book looks fantastic. I am ordering it from Amazon tomorrow.

    Sending wishes to you for much success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've recently finished your book and love it! I feel inspired to cook and learn French.

    I can't believe you're in Australia! Shame I am in Canbera, several hours away and will miss your Aus visit :(

    Hope you enjoy it here! Is it your first time here? Have you been roped in to trying Vegemite? (Tim Tams and Caramello Koalas are also yummy) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to order the book as looks like a lot of fun! Great colors on the table setting as well. Looking forward to your blog!!

    http://nycstylecannoli.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. We chose your book for our bookclub last week, and I finished it on the weekend. Loved it! I've got loads of recipes tagged to make. But I do keep thinking about those super-strong-willed French women only eating small pieces of cake... That's not so easy to do!

    I hope you've enjoyed Australia, and had a good fix of our hot weather.

    I saw on Facebook that you're looking for the ultimate Sydney lamington. If you haven't been to Sydney yet (the best Aussie city, but I'm biased!), Manna from Heaven are renowned for making a fab lamington. They sell at a really good markets in Pyrmont (only one Saturday a month), or you can pick them up from the factory (69-71 Marrickville Road, Marrickville, Ph 02 9517 3688 - Ring before going).
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pleasure discovering your blog and finding another anglophone in France.
    Sending + vibes and looking forward to keeping in touch,
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete