Monday, February 1, 2010

Make Me a Redhead?



It's official! Lunch in Paris hits the stores this week. From conception to dustjacket, the book represents three very industrious and exciting years of my life. I wasn't sure what this day would feel like. Maybe I would wake up in a fairy ballgown - or turn into a pumpkin.

This past October in Paris, I was lucky enough to have a conversation on this very topic with with Diane Johnson, the celebrated author of Le Divorce and many other tales of expat adventure. I asked her what it felt like when she published her first book. She leaned over the small table - on the low cushioned chair, she was not much higher than it's rim - and looked me in the eye: "Don't expect your life to change." she said "Not one bit. When my first book came out, I was so disappointed, I went straight to the hairdresser and said 'Make me a blond!'"

My first thought was - my god, am I that transparent? My second thought was - my god, what if she's right...

So the next time you see me, I might be a flaming redhead.

The truth, of course, is that Lunch in Paris has already changed my life. It's made me a better writer, a more confident and complete professional. I know that taking the time to carve out a little space for myself in the world has made me a better wife - and new mother.

I'm so thankful for all the support I've received from family, friends and readers - and I'm thrilled that I can continue to share my Paris adventures with all of you.

Bisous. EB x

P.S. - The reviews are pouring in - I've been posting them on the Facebook page - and I'm particularly honored that Lunch in Paris has been chosen by Barnes & Noble as one of their "Discover Great New Writers" picks for Spring 2010.

7 comments:

  1. I am so very excited for you, Elizabeth! What a great adventure you have been having. Congrats on all the positive press! Going red is fun, BTW. ;-) I've tried it. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Elizabeth! The book is charming. I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Lunch in Paris. Congratulations. It's my new favorite. You "Got me" from the first page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would want to be a redhead too!
    Looking forward to getting my hands on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what it's like when your first book hits the shops - exhilarating, terrifying, magical - almost like giving birth after a long labor. Well done, Elizabeth, I wish you many reprints...

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's so much pressure on writers these days to be glamorous, to blog, hustle their own books, network, do public speaking blah blah. It's not enough for the book to be fabulous on its own merit.

    I love that picture of Walt Disney's Cinderella, it was my favourite story as a child.

    But transformation should be fiercely selective, I believe, and not as a result of pressure to have a radical makeover just because the publicist thinks it would be better for marketing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a recipe for pumpkin scones, that is attributed to Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen, the wife of an Australian state premier who was known for his ghastly right-wing politics. Her scones are legendary, though.

    1 Tblsp butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1 cup mashed pumpkin (cold)
    2 cups Self raising flour

    Method:
    Beat together butter, sugar and salt with electric mixer.
    Add egg, then pumpkin and stir in the flour.
    Turn on to floured board and cut.
    Place in tray on top shelf of very hot oven 225-250 Celcius for 15-20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete